Saturday, January 22, 2011

Conditional sentences


1st conditional

l REAL, POSSIBLE
l IF                           + FACT = Consequence
l Simple present      + Future (Will or going to)
l Ex.: If it rains, I will stay home.

2nd conditional
l UNREAL, BUT POSSIBLE
l Hypothesis + past tenses
l Would                    + IF + Simple past
l Ex.: I would take care of him if I found a baby in my front door.


3rd conditional
l REGRETS ABOUT PAST
l Hypotesis + Past perfect
l Would have + past perfect
l Ex.: I would have passed the exam if I had studied

Zero conditional
l TRUE FACTS
l When or whenever it happens
l Present + Present
l Ex.:If you spend $ 20 you get a 5% discount
l If you heat water at 100oC, it boils.


ADDITIONAL EXERCISES
A: Let's go to the beach.
B: No, it's too cold. If it............................................. warmer, I wouldn't mind going to the beach.(be)    .
A: Did you go to the beach yesterday?
B: No, it was too cold. If it........................................ warmer, we might have gone. (be)
If you ............................................. enough money to go anywhere in the world, where would you go? (have)
Englad we had a map. I’m sure we would have got lost if we ................ one.
(not/have)
The accident was your fault. If you ............................................ more carefully, it wouldn't have happened. (drive)
A: Why do you read newspapers?
B: Well, if I............................................. newspapers, I wouldn't know what was happening in the world. (not/read)

Complete the sentences.
a) Liz is tired ali the time. She shouldn't go to bed só late.
c) It's rather late. I don't think Ann will come to see us now. Id be surprised if Ann ......................................................................................................................................
d) I’m sorry I disturbed you. I didn't know you were busy. If I'd known you were busy, I ........................................................................................................................
e) The dog attacked you, but only because you provoked it. If .........................................
f)  I don't want them to be upset, só Fve decided not to tell them what happened.
They..................................................................if.................................................................
g) Unfortunately, I didn't have an umbrella and so I got very wet in the rain.
If........................................................................................................................................... h) Martin failed his driving test last week. He was very nervous and that's why he failed.
If he .................................................................................................................................

Use your own ideas to complete these sentences.
A)        I’d go out this evening if ..................................................................................................................................
B)        I’d have gone out last night if.........................................................................................................................
C         If you hadn't reminded me,.............................................................................................................................
D         We wouldn't have been late if...........................................................................:............................................
E)        If Fd been able to get tickets,..........................................................................................................................
F          Who would you phone if...............................................................................................................................?
G         Cities would be nicer places if........................................................................................................................
H         If there was no television,......................................................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment